Topic: Social Media

Come troll me. What parents should know about Sayat.me

Pin It

It’s an app that trades in anonymous criticism. It has 30+ million users and relays over a million ‘feedback comments’ a day.  It is hugely popular with teenagers, although most parents have never heard of it.

If you don’t know what Sayat.me is, you’d better find out fast.  Ask your teenager for starters.  Chances are they’re already using it.

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Internet, Social Media

Discerning the Truth in a Digital Age

Pin It

Each year, Oxford Dictionaries chooses a Word of the Year. For 2016, the 'Word of the Year was 'post-truth'.

'Post-truth' is the idea that it is easier to influence public opinion with messages that appeal to emotions, belief and prejudices than it is using facts. It is an idea that has been around for awhile, but was brought to a head in 2016 during the Brexit vote in the UK and the Presidential election in the USA.

Topics: Internet, Technology, Social Media

Do You Know What Your Kids Do Online?

Pin It

"Keep all digital devices out of the bedroom!"

"Be a parent, not a friend"

"Don't let your child do anything online that you wouldn't let them do offline"

These were the three key statements repeated by cybersafety expert, Susan McLean, at King's 'Growing Up Online' Cybersafety Seminar on 4 October 2016.

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Internet, Primary School, Technology, Social Media

My 12-year-old deleted her musical.ly app after hearing Susan McLean

Pin It

I am guilty of giving in to my obedient, cooperative 12-year-old who does her chores cheerfully. "Everyone has musical.ly, Mum!' I added it and set up my own account and befriended her so I could monitor her. We checked the 'privacy' settings and googled the feedback and set rules about being in school uniform etc. The 13+ age restriction is standard on social media platforms and we talked about how it was a privilege to use it 8 months before she turns 13.

How naive I was!

How to Keep Friends on Facebook

Pin It

I’m a people person.

I have manners (most of the time) and I love my friendships (all the time).  But, there’s also this great new thing that has occasionally threatened to ruin some of my friendships…it’s called Facebook.

Topics: Internet, Social Media

Click to register for Raising Resilient Children & Teens

Subscribe to King's Blog