Topic: Social Skills

Teaching Kids Conversation Skills

Pin It

I’ve never been great at small talk. It is only when I can burrow beneath surface-level chit-chat level that I become truly engaged.

I am, however, considerably more advanced at the art of polite conversation than my children. My boys are either too direct (eg “My grandad’s losing his hair too”) or shy and monosyllabic, mumbling to their shoes when spoken to by someone unfamiliar.

Topics: Parenting, High School, Primary School, Social Skills, Preschool

Teaching Your Child About Consent

Pin It

The concept of respectful relationships, including consent, has been discussed at a school level for some time, but it hasn’t yet gained universal traction with families. Lacking confidence and unsure where to start, many parents have struggled to make headway in this area. If this sounds familiar, these ideas will help you make a start.

Topics: Teens, High School, Behaviour, Primary School, Social Skills, Preschool, Prep, Toddlers, Boys

My Best Work Experience Advice? Humility

Pin It

Early in my career, I was given two separate (and unsolicited) pieces of advice: The first was to learn the job of the person immediately above me if I wanted to progress fast. The second was to ‘perfect’ a spectacularly bad cup of tea if asked to make one for my superiors. 

Topics: School Leavers, High School, Social Skills

Teaching Kids to Ask for What They Want

Pin It

Much behaviour that annoys parents stems from children’s inability to ask for what they want.

Most parents have experienced a young child yelling, “Mum, he took my toy. It’s not fair!” Perhaps you’ve experienced a child who whines like a dripping tap because they want something from you.

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Behaviour, Primary School, Social Skills, Preschool, Prep, Toddlers

How to Deal with Anxiety - A Parent's Guide

Pin It

Anxiety is currently the most common health condition in Australia. Anxiety disorder affects:

•    1 in 4 people
•    1 in 3 women
    1 in 8 men
•    14 % of the population

40% of all people will experience a panic attack at some point in their lives.

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Primary School, Social Skills, Health, Anxiety

Seven Phrases to Avoid When Kids Are Anxious

Pin It

Talking with kids when they are anxious can be hard work for parents and teachers. Sometimes just one word out of place or spoken with the wrong tone of voice can get a child’s back up, upset them or make them uncooperative.

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Primary School, Social Skills, Anxiety

New call-to-action

Subscribe to King's Blog