Topic: Social Skills

Fostering Healthy Sibling Relationships

Pin It

If your kids constantly fight with each other, then don’t despair. All that emotional energy isn’t going to waste.

According to a recent study, sibling fights teach kids important conflict resolution skills. In fact, parents who stop their children from arguing may well be depriving them of important learning opportunities.

Topics: Parenting, Behaviour, Social Skills

Why Kids Need Time Alone with Their Friends

Pin It

As young as eight, I would hop on my bike after school, cycle a few blocks and knock on my friend's door to see if they could play. We would kick balls in the street or ride to the woods for fort building and games of tiggy and 'capture the castle'. If my parents worried, they never showed it.

Topics: Teens, High School, Primary School, Social Skills

Why Your Preschooler Should Do an Organised Sport

Pin It

When my boys were little, I used to compare them (unkindly maybe) with puppies. Providing they had plenty of affection and were allowed to run around a lot outside, they were happy. Preschoolers are natural little whirlwinds of energy and need masses of exercise. Physical activity keeps little ones fit, healthy and strong, helps them relax and sleep better and is FUN!

Topics: Social Skills, Preschool, Prep, Health, Sport

Raising Resilient Children

Pin It

Around 14% of Australian 4-17 year olds and 20% of 15-19 year olds have mental health issues, according to Mindframe. The percentage of young people flagging mental health as a concern has doubled in the last six years.

Why are anxiety and depression so prevalent among our young people today and what can parents do to raise strong children, equipped to deal with the curveballs life throws at them?

Topics: Teens, High School, Behaviour, Primary School, Social Skills

10 Signs You Are Raising A Spoilt Child

Pin It

We love our kids.  We want to provide for them, do our best for them and protect them. But sometimes our desire to make them happy and our dedication to looking after them can lead to ‘over-parenting’.  With the best intentions in the world, we can over-praise, over-indulge and over-protect our little darlings ... and risk raising self-centred, entitled dependents, unable to think for themselves.

Here are some red flags that indicate you might be raising a spoilt child:

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Behaviour, Primary School, Social Skills, Preschool, Toddlers

Leadership Skills for Headstrong Tots

Pin It

Most of my friends have had the experience of consoling me after I have been dealing with my daughter’s strength. “The force is strong with this one” seems to be a blissful statement that doesn’t even begin to touch on her perception of her capabilities.

I was fighting it hard. But for all my efforts, trying to teach this tiny woman with an iron clad will that she would submit seemed to be useless. I am a fundamentalist. And there was a part of me that believed that ‘good parenting’ meant submissive children. Enter massive issue…..my daughter will not submit, she wants to lead.

Topics: Parenting, Behaviour, Social Skills, Preschool, Prep, Leadership, Toddlers

Click to find out more about King's Carnival on 28th July

Subscribe to King's Blog