Topic: School Holidays

Should My Child Do Homework in the Holidays?

Pin It

Hurray!  It's the school holidays!  Time to play, rest and reconnect with friends and family.  An opportunity to recharge and rejuvenate. The chance to dream, explore and catch up on all those hobbies that demand more time.

After a term of school work and routine, students deserve a break ... as do their parents! But how do we prevent their academic skills from slipping and ensure they don't forget what they've learnt -

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, School Holidays, Primary School, Homework

It's Raining, It's Boring ... What to Do on the Gold Coast When It Rains

Pin It

Kids. Rain. Gold Coast. Ideas?

Beautiful beaches, amazing weather, theme parks, promenades and playgrounds - the Gold Coast has it all.

And then it rains.

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, School Holidays, Primary School, Pre-School, Toddlers

Great Play Dough Ideas for Every Age

Pin It

Think play dough is just for pre-schoolers?

I am always amazed at how much time older children and even adults will spend happily squidging and modelling if they get their hands on it. 

I have used play dough to divert teenagers at youth groups, as an ice-breaker at grown-up parties and as a medium for imaginative play and learning.

Topics: High School, School Holidays, Primary School, Pre-School, Prep, Toddlers, Craft

10 Strategies for Managing Screen Time

Pin It

So its the school holidays and the weather sucks.  The sound of the TV is ever-present and, despite your best intentions, the kids have been on their iPods/PlayStation/Xbox/Wii far longer than you know is healthy.  We all know too much screen time is damaging for kids but policing it is an eternal challenge.  We hear you!

Here are some strategies for controlling screen time in your house:

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, School Holidays, Internet, Primary School, Technology, Pre-School, Toddlers

For the Joy of Writing

Pin It

I enjoy writing.  My kids don’t (or so they say).  Maybe it’s an association with spelling drills and school essay assignments but my boys do not naturally get excited at the prospect of putting pen to paper.  Oh, they have friends who keep journals and who write stories at home for fun (imagine!) but not my boys.

Topics: Literacy, Teens, High School, School Holidays, Primary School

Creating Family Traditions at Christmas

Pin It

One of the things that brings me great joy is thinking back to my childhood and the certainty I had around celebrations just knowing that ‘this was the way it would be done’. It gave me comfort and a real sense of security to know that:

Topics: Parenting, School Holidays, Christmas

Click to register for Raising Resilient Children & Teens

Subscribe to King's Blog