Topic: Primary School

Raising Resilient Children

Pin It

Around 14% of Australian 4-17 year olds and 20% of 15-19 year olds have mental health issues, according to Mindframe. The percentage of young people flagging mental health as a concern has doubled in the last six years.

Why are anxiety and depression so prevalent among our young people today and what can parents do to raise strong children, equipped to deal with the curveballs life throws at them?

Topics: Teens, High School, Behaviour, Primary School, Social Skills

I hear you but I'm not listening

Pin It

Dealing with your child's selective hearing

"Did you hear what I just said? Go and sort your school bag out!"

"How many times have I asked you to do this?"

"Why didn't you hand your homework in to your teacher today?"

Topics: Parenting, Behaviour, Primary School, Pre-School, Prep

What to Do if Your Child Is Bullied Online

Pin It

I was lucky.  I'd never been bullied ... until that time.  I was thirteen and it went on for nearly a year.  It wasn’t physical. It wasn’t aggressive. But it was repetitive and demeaning: a rumour contorted, embellished and thrown around the classroom with wild abandon by those who wanted to humiliate me. 

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Behaviour, Primary School, Bullying

Preparing for School Camp

Pin It

Camps can be a time of fun and friendship-building.  Getting away from the classroom for a few days and trying your hand at new activities can be so enjoyable.  But not for everyone.  For many children, the fun of camp is overshadowed by concerns.  Whilst some student may bound off to camp with barely a backward glance, many children will need some extra help to see past their worries, to the fun that lies beyond.

Topics: Teens, High School, Primary School, Planning

Don't Be a Bystander to Bullying

Pin It

In last week's blog, What to Do When Your Child Says They're Bullied, we looked at ways parents could support and help their children when they claim to be victims of bullying. But often the problem extends way beyond the bullies themselves to the bystanders who aggravate the situation through collusion or inaction.

Topics: Teens, High School, Behaviour, Primary School, Bullying

How Much Pocket Money Should I Give My Child?

Pin It

I started giving my eldest child pocket money each week when he was in Year 1.  He was learning about coins and notes in school  and I thought it would be a good time to give him some of the real thing to practice with. I decided on an (arbitrary) amount of $2, which I made up in coins of one dollar, 50 cents, 20 cents, two 10 cents and two 5 cents to give him plenty of denominations to play with.

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Primary School

Click to register for Reedy Creek Principal's Tour

Subscribe to King's Blog