Topic: High School

What to Do if Your Child Is Bullied Online

Pin It

I was lucky.  I'd never been bullied ... until that time.  I was thirteen and it went on for nearly a year.  It wasn’t physical. It wasn’t aggressive. But it was repetitive and demeaning: a rumour contorted, embellished and thrown around the classroom with wild abandon by those who wanted to humiliate me. 

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Behaviour, Primary School, Bullying

Preparing for School Camp

Pin It

Camps can be a time of fun and friendship-building.  Getting away from the classroom for a few days and trying your hand at new activities can be so enjoyable.  But not for everyone.  For many children, the fun of camp is overshadowed by concerns.  Whilst some student may bound off to camp with barely a backward glance, many children will need some extra help to see past their worries, to the fun that lies beyond.

Topics: Teens, High School, Primary School, Planning

Don't Be a Bystander to Bullying

Pin It

In last week's blog, What to Do When Your Child Says They're Bullied, we looked at ways parents could support and help their children when they claim to be victims of bullying. But often the problem extends way beyond the bullies themselves to the bystanders who aggravate the situation through collusion or inaction.

Topics: Teens, High School, Behaviour, Primary School, Bullying

How Much Pocket Money Should I Give My Child?

Pin It

I started giving my eldest child pocket money each week when he was in Year 1.  He was learning about coins and notes in school  and I thought it would be a good time to give him some of the real thing to practice with. I decided on an (arbitrary) amount of $2, which I made up in coins of one dollar, 50 cents, 20 cents, two 10 cents and two 5 cents to give him plenty of denominations to play with.

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, Primary School

Should My Child Do Homework in the Holidays?

Pin It

Hurray!  It's the school holidays!  Time to play, rest and reconnect with friends and family.  An opportunity to recharge and rejuvenate. The chance to dream, explore and catch up on all those hobbies that demand more time.

After a term of school work and routine, students deserve a break ... as do their parents! But how do we prevent their academic skills from slipping and ensure they don't forget what they've learnt -

Topics: Parenting, Teens, High School, School Holidays, Primary School, Homework

Choosing Your Child's First Musical Instrument

Pin It

There are so many benefits to learning to play an instrument - it relieves stress, builds confidence, develops reasoning skills and more. But for parents who have never played an instrument themselves, deciding on a first instrument for their child can be a daunting experience.

Conversely, parents who are proficient at music often put their child on the same musical journey, starting their child on the instrument they first learnt to play.

Topics: High School, Primary School, Pre-School, Prep, Performing Arts

Click to register for Raising Resilient Children & Teens

Subscribe to King's Blog