Topic: High School

Fortnite and Fanaticism

Pin It

Working with kids in schools these past weeks, and indeed having five children of my own, has alerted me to the seemingly unprecedented obsession with the new online game Fortnite. Not since Pokémon Go has something seemed to take the world by storm, leaving parents wondering when it will ever stop.

Topics: Parenting, High School, Internet, Primary School, Technology

How I Got Sucked Into My Kids' Gaming World

Pin It

Like many parents, I struggle with kids and screen time, most notably with computer games. I set time limits on play, check games are age-appropriate, ban devices from the bedroom and offer all sorts of alternative play and activities … but still get disheartened that my two boys would rather race virtual cars and navigate imaginary worlds than kick a football around or build Lego.

Talking to Kids Makes Them Smarter

Pin It

The links between school achievement and parents’ ability to talk with kids from a young age are now well established.

The language stimulation children receive when they talk with parents is one factor. But engagement in conversation with parents benefits kids in a far broader sense.

Topics: Parenting, High School, Primary School

Mother's Day Ideas You Might Want to Skip

Pin It

A few years ago, I received a beautiful hand-made Mother's Day card from my eight-year-old entitled "Mum I love you because ...". Inside he had written an impressive two paragraphs extolling my ability to unstack dishwashers frequently and efficiently. How I felt loved! Clearly his love-language was 'acts of service'.

Get the Most Out of Your Parent Teacher Interview

Pin It

So you've been scheduled 10-15 minutes to drill the teacher about your child's performance and well-being at school. You've just received your child's school report and have a number of issues to discuss. How do you make the most of your brief meeting? 

Topics: Teachers, High School, Primary School

Why Kids Need Time Alone with Their Friends

Pin It

As young as eight, I would hop on my bike after school, cycle a few blocks and knock on my friend's door to see if they could play. We would kick balls in the street or ride to the woods for fort building and games of tiggy and 'capture the castle'. If my parents worried, they never showed it.

Topics: Teens, High School, Primary School, Social Skills

Click to find out more about King's Carnival on 28th July

Subscribe to King's Blog